The Rehearsal Space Thread

VIRGIN (to improv) SPACE AVAILABLE!

Looking for a practice space nobody else is in?

My friend Tom has a theater in the East Village - 64 E. 4th street on that little "theater row" (next to La Mama, across from New York Theater Workshop, KGB Bar, etc) called the Paradise Theater, and the fourth floor is essentially one big practice/rehearsal space. It is generally available 24 hours a day.

Here are the details:

The main room is a huge 24 x 48 feet room (nice clean hardwood dance flooring) and the alcove at the back of the room is 10 x 14 or so, so the total square footage is about 1300 sq. ft. Also - NO MIRRORS! Plus the place has skylights and a full bathroom with shower.

Its going for $20/hr but if you book enough days/nights in adavance I think there could be a discount.

If interested, email tom@tomnoonan.com, and mention you saw this here.

Enjoy!

yeah

Does anyone know any spaces that do late nights, 10:30p-12:30a?
My friend Tom has a theater in the East Village - 64 E. 4th street on that little "theater row" (next to La Mama, across from New York Theater Workshop, KGB Bar, etc) called the Paradise Theater, and the fourth floor is essentially one big practice/rehearsal space. It is generally available 24 hours a day.

See above for details.

48th St. Studios

48th St. Studios isn't so bad. Upsides: Jean, who runs it, is delightful, and it's not terribly expensive (maybe about $15/hr). Downsides: They rehearse a fair amount of music so noise can be a problem. Also, not all of the rooms are ideal. Ask for a big one.

48th St. Studios
353 W 48th St
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 586-9055

Time to update the info about my rehearsal studios, Where Eagles Dare. I now have 7 studios and a black-box theatre (and 1 of the studios is also a studio theatre). Prices range from $10 - $20 / hr (off-peak non-profit) to $13 - $26 / hr (peak non-profit). Sizes range from 8 X 13 to 21 X 29. Studio Dove (14 X 27) seems to work for several improv groups; it's $20/hr (peak non-profit). There's a 4-hr minimum on weekday nights, unless you start at 5 (like 5 - 7 or -8) or end at 11 (like 8- or 9-11). For complete details, please see www.johncpresents.com.
Thanks,
John Chatterton
212/279-2504

joebrian

Shameless Self Promoter
48th St. Studios isn't so bad. Upsides: Jean, who runs it, is delightful, and it's not terribly expensive (maybe about $15/hr). Downsides: They rehearse a fair amount of music so noise can be a problem. Also, not all of the rooms are ideal. Ask for a big one.

48th St. Studios
353 W 48th St
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 586-9055
I just want to let everyone know, after having my practice group go to the 48th Studio studio, they were turned away. They had no record of the appointment I made. Why? Because that # is for the 853 7th Av Rehearsal Studios.

48th St Studios is 212-757-2539....

http://www.thebuddhaplay.com/info.html

The Buddha Play
276 West 25th Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10001
(212) 925-9376
TheBuddhaPlay@gmail.com

This guy rents his theater for:
$25/hour with a 4 hour minimum for rehearsal
and $150/night + $15/hour for shows

Not really viable for improv rehearsal but might be a good resource to tap for improv shows. It's really close to UCB has a capacity of 74 and is a beautiful space.

I can email pictures to anyone interested, he emailed them to me so I don't know to post them here dfdrury at gmail dot com

ensembleforlife

Suck in. Look Funny.
if any of you improv nerds out there want to rehearse on Labor Day, Ripley-Grier will be open. and they are having a special: 50% of any room!

(also, they have a earlybird/late night special: book anytime between 9am-11am OR 9pm-11pm, 50% off any room. only catch: can only book a week in advance and the booking has to be within those hours (ie..no starting at 8:30 and thinking you get any part of it 50% off)

My coworker just sent me the link for NY Theatre Spaces http://www.nyctheatrespaces.org/. It's a really great resource to find rehearsal spaces that meet whatever your specifications are and also it is helpful for finding performance spaces. Yay!

And I'm not sure if someone has posted this before, so sorry if I'm repeating!

Rocco

champions

For the love of god: if you have a musical rehearsal group, stop rehearsing at champions. Go to ripley grier or ANYPLACE else.

Playing a champions piano and expecting anything akin to harmonious music to come out is like jerking off a homeless guy and expecting delicious rice pudding to shoot out: I suppose it's technically possible, but I've never seen it.

Their pianos are ass.

Players Theatre

The Players Has 5 rehearsal spaces. Starting at $20 and going to $40 per hour. The smallest/cheapest are enough for 8-10 and a coach. If you book your class period/rehearsal period we have discounts available. We love improv groups and house several. Mostly we have two theatres and offer some VERY AFFORDABLE late night deals for performances.

You can always contact us 212-475-1449

a note from Ali:

Dear Improvisers, Sketch Comedians, Actors and Artists in general:

I hope this finds you and yours happy, healthy and following your bliss.

As some of you may have heard through the grapevine, we are opening up a rehearsal studio dedicated to Improvisation, Sketch Comedy, Acting, and the spoken-word arts in general.

As you may or may not know, I am the owner of The PIT, although this will not be called PIT Studios because that would be too limiting to our overall vision. We will be teaching our classes and workshops there, but hopefully we will only be a small piece of the puzzle needed to help keep this dream alive.

This facility will be called Simple Studios and is being built with you in mind: those who love to play make believe or, as we called them in Chicago, the make-em-ups. The rooms will have sound dampened walls, stage lighting with dimmers and hardwood floors, so you can practice like you play under simulated performance conditions. You won't have to contend with singing or musical instruments next door.

As you will see when you go to the website, www.simplestudiosnyc.com, we are trying to build a community of artists from all over the city. If you teach, coach, practice, or rehearse at Simple Studios, you or your group will be listed on the site so that others can find out about your services.

We are embarking on this venture during the worst financial crisis since the depression, in the shadow of The Empire State Building, which began construction on Black Tuesday. Some would call this fool-hearted, however, I believe it will take small steps like this for change to occur.

We hope to be open by mid-June to early July, 2009. The first week we are open will be free to anyone who wants to see what we are all about. The next three weeks will be $15 per hour, walk-in or reserved, then we will adjust our rates based on our costs.

We are lucky enough to have Desiree Nash as our General Manager. She has been doing this kind of work for awhile and is well known in the community as a lover of the stage. Feel free to email her or call her with questions. Please sign up for our email list so you will know when we are officially open so you can take advantage of our first week free specials.

I hope you will consider Simple Studios when you are looking for a

place to rehearse. The only way we will survive is through the help of many and the word of mouth of all. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ali Reza Farahnakian

www.simplestudiosnyc.com

Free Rehearsal Space

hey Improvisers and Writers (and actors and et al),

Simple Studios is opening August 3rd, 9am-11pm. Our first week, space is free (2 hour max...unless there is room), so book now.

To book, please email me at desiree (at) simplestudiosnyc (dot) com.

For info, go to simplestudiosnyc.com

Also, please note, we have no pianos...so music improv might be a problem.

Thanks,

Desiree Nash

General Manager, Simple Studios

Thank You

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone that has come out so far to check out the studios. It's been fun, with improvisers from all theaters. The free week is still happening through Sunday. Also, we now have our phone lines up and running, so please call:

212-273-9696

another note: we are already getting pretty booked for the month of August, so if you fear you might not get space for the upcoming week, move fast.

Thanks,

Simple Studios