The Performance Space Thread

Susannah

lovable rogue
There comes a time in every sketch/improv group's life when it's time to move out of the Rehearsal Space and into a Performance Space. This thread will be for collecting and sharing data on such spaces. This can include:

* Info on specific variety shows that book outside groups (VU, Drinkytown, Ash Wednesday, etc.). When? Where? Who do I contact?
* Info on theaters that book outside groups. Which nights? What kinds of acts are they looking for? Who do I contact?
* Info on theaters available to rent. Where? How much? Who do I contact?

If you are the contact person and have up-to-date information regarding your space or show, that information would be especially helpful. Any scraps of knowledge, however, will be much appreciated by all, I'm sure.

GAME ON!!!!

Erik with a "K"

Marcisak ("Mar-See-Sack")
JUVIE HALL
wednesdays-sundays
at The Gene Frankel Theater
24 Bond Street
(btwn Bowery & Lafayette)
NYC
erik@juviehall.com
Acts: Mostly sketch, some improv & standup
Shows are "Do it yourself" meaning acts pay rent prior to the show, they set the ticket price, run their own show, and keep the box office. (slots are booked 3 months in advance)

Improv, Sketch, Stand-up

Ash Wednesday
Hosted by Evel Cathedral
Westside Tavern (in the back, and downstairs)
360 West 23rd Street (between 8th and 9th Avenues, but much closer to 9th)
Wednesdays, 8-10pm
FREE (as in, no cover. We have a LOOSELY ENFORCED one-drink minimum.)
Contact evelcathedral@hotmail.com

Buying all your drinks from the downstairs bartender makes the club like us!

Performing here makes us like you!

Mo Nose

Paradox in a pantsuit
Gotham City Improv
158 West 23rd Street New York, NY 10011
917-558-3549
info@gothamcityimprov.com

It's definitely not free, but I think it's like $100 and then you keep the door. Don't quote me on that as it may have changed since last I was a box office person there.

urfman

Secretly Cuban
Under St. Marks
94 St. Marks Place (between 1st and 2nd)
212-777-6088
office@horseTRADE.info
50 seat theater can be rented on a nightly basis.
Various rental rates for 8pm and 10.30pm shows and space information (including lighting package) can be found here

DRINKYTOWN
WEDNESDAYS AT 7

Parkside Lounge
317 East Houston (E of Ave B) F/V to 2nd Ave​

If you would like to book your group or self for Drinkytown, email drinkytown AT yahoo DOT com. The current assistant to the Mayor of Drinkytown will take care of you. (Currently Alex Marino and/or Jenny).

Acts are typically improv, but we also welcome standup, sketch, music, etc.

We also frequently have guest hosts for the evening. Hosts are welcome to do bits or characters and have a hand in booking the guest act for the night they host.

www.littlecommie.com/drinkytown

More about the show:
Drinkytown began in 2002, hosted by Armando Diaz and Shannon Manning, featuring shows directed by them--Armando's Pleasure Island and Shannon's Red All Over, improv inspired by politics and current events where we gave away free copies of The Nation.

Red All Over continues to kick off the night, followed by a new guest group each week (that's you!), and UNO! (a Terry Jinn-organized improv show with a rotating cast.)

I often supplement the cast of Red All Over from regular attendees to the show and people I coach or teach, so drop me an email if you are interested in performing with that show. (shannon AT littlecommie dot com)

Sunday Skool @ Pianos

Every Sunday "The Whitest Kids U Know" do a show at Pianos on Ludlow and Stanton.
I book comedians and sketch groups for the show. So if anyone is interested, send me an e-mail.
It's a free show (no cover - no two drink min) and it's always standing-room only,
so it's a good place to try out new stuff.

Trevor
tmoore@iatv.tv

I have changed my pricing! To make it easier for you, the viewing and listening audience member, I am now charging a $6 cover which includes a ticket for a free drink.

Too often, people had walked through the door to the downstairs area with their wallets out, realized there was no doorman, put their wallets away, then saw the bar and had to get their wallets back out of their pockets! It was a mess! Plus, some people were forgetting to get drunk altogether! Trust me, New York, I've done you a huge favor here!

yours,
Ash Wednesday

Improvise Where Eagles Dare -- Cheap!

Hi,
Where Eagles Dare rehearsal studios and theatre has just added 2 new rehearsal spaces and is having a One-third Off Fall Sale, with ridiculously low prices while supplies last. Everything must go!
Seriously, the new rooms go for $12 and $8 per hour, respectively. The former is Studio A, measuring 22' X 30'; the latter is Studio C, which is 13' X 26'.
The reasons for these low low prices are (a) to get the new spaces booked and in the public consciousness and (b) because they are still in the process of being fixed up (painted, nice drapes put in, lighting, etc.). But they're quite adequate for practice, and you can't beat the price!
Where Eagles Dare also has a 40-seat theatre, available for $150 on Monday nights (4 hours, no later than 12 a.m.). But these slots must generally be booked less than a month in advance, to allow for block bookings, unless the Monday you want is part of a week that has already been booked for the other nights. You keep the door, of course, and there's no bar = no minimum.
For more information, check out www.johncpresents.com or call John Chatterton at 646/207-2926, or E-mail him at studios@oobr.com.

Susannah said:
There comes a time in every sketch/improv group's life when it's time to move out of the Rehearsal Space and into a Performance Space. This thread will be for collecting and sharing data on such spaces. This can include:

* Info on specific variety shows that book outside groups (VU, Drinkytown, Ash Wednesday, etc.). When? Where? Who do I contact?
* Info on theaters that book outside groups. Which nights? What kinds of acts are they looking for? Who do I contact?
* Info on theaters available to rent. Where? How much? Who do I contact?

If you are the contact person and have up-to-date information regarding your space or show, that information would be especially helpful. Any scraps of knowledge, however, will be much appreciated by all, I'm sure.

GAME ON!!!!

Stacy

that's me!
The Tank or Belt

Does anyone know the policies of The Tank or The Belt Theatres? I've seen improv there but I don't have their contact information.

Thanks!

Hunters and Clansmen!

The rumors are TRUE!

1) Ash Wednesday has infiltrated the offices of the Mayor of Drinkytown and taken over the Wednesday night spot at the Parkside Lounge!

(We’ll miss the delightful Ms. Manning and crew, and we Cathedrals thank them a thousand times for the comedic awesomeness they’ve shared with all of us!)

2) Ain’t no dam-ass cover no more!

Therefore, in the interests of all this thread stands for, I proclomate to you the following new info:

Ash Wednesday
The Parkside Lounge
317 East Houston St. (Take the F/V to 2nd Avenue)
This Wednesday, 7-9pm
Admission is FREE (with a LOOSELY ENFORCED two-drink minimum)
(not to mention the fact that $3 Happy Hour beers are sold until 8:00)

Gabe

Gabe McKinley
I am booking a new space that I am part owner of in the East Village -60 seats...

it is called Mo Pitkin's and it opens in March 2005. it is full light/sound 65 seat theater with a bar and we will record your show for you. I am still figuring out the performance sked... but drop me an email.

gabe@thesharkshow.com

I need a theatre for May

Ideally a space w/ 70+ seats (like if the show sold out there could be 80 or so as standing room).
I would love a place that provides a box office person or reservation line, and if a tech is included that would rock even harder.
If they serve booze, even better.
Any suggestions of cool places to rent(under $200 a night) or co-produce are much appriciated.

Thanks!

National Comedy Theatre - New Performance Space

The National Comedy Theatre has just opened a spectacular, brand new 110 seat performance space in midtown on W. 36th St. Raked seating, beautiful, huge lobby can hold about 100 people, lighting and sound system are included.

The theatre is available for rental Sun-Thursday nights as well as daytime every day. It is perfect for improv/sketch/cabaret, and also makes a great rehearsal space.

Here's the details:
National Comedy Theatre
347 W. 36th St. (between 8th & 9th)
Phone: 212-629-5202
e-mail: info@manhattancomedy.com

Theatre is available for rental only (we don't do the drink/cover split thing). Rates are $40/hour for rehearsal in the theatre (this is not a dance studio, it's a real theatre) and $400/night for performance.