Rehearsal & Performance Spaces

mullaney

IRC Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to compile a list of spaces in Arizona which are useful to Improvisors. Rather than having one thread for each category, I thought one thread might suffice. So please share any performance spaces which are open to booking improv shows and any rooms/buildings which have space suitable for a rehearsal or class.

GreenLanternMD

Work in Progress
The Trunk Space (15th Ave & Grand)
The Paper Heart (7th Ave & Grand)
Entertainment Alley (Scottsdale Road between McDowell & Thomas [?])
Paramount Theater (Casa Grande)

Arsehole Gratia Artis
Burton Barr Central Library has a couple of (not free) conference rooms that worked well for the Remainders workshops.

Most galleries along Grand are good spaces for workshops. Also, hotel and businesses have conference rooms I've rented out before. Entertainment Alley is a good atmosphere as is Theatre 168 (but I don't believe they rent it out).
Dramagenics has a space out in Peoria I haven't seen yet, but might be suitable if they rent it out.

Jef Rawls would probably have some good ideas for spots in Scottsdale (you're in Scottsdale now right?) You can get in touch with him through The Jester'Z website (www.jesterzimprov.com)

Can I take away from that list? I think Four White Walls is gone. Either that or they changed locations. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Paper Heart has been great for workshops in the past, however I'm not sure what their deal is now that Counter Culture Cafe has moved in with them.

Shaun Clayton

The Count of Monte Cristo
There unfortunately aren't a whole lot of performance/rehearsal spaces in Tucson, but here are some places which still may or may not be open to having improv groups performing:

7 Black Cats - A bar, mostly looking for musical acts.

Vaudeville Cabaret - Looking more for variety acts, but still may be accepting to an improv group performing.

Hotel Congress - A pretty happening performance venue, and usually pretty booked. A neat place to perform if you can get it.

The Rialto - A huge, huge theater, usually featuring some of the larger musical acts that come to town. I did actually look into having a show there once and they were open to having an improv group perform, but there was a substantial deposit needed (around $2000) to rent out the space for the night to cover crew and cleaning expenses. Prices may have changed since I asked.

The Loft - (www.loftcinema.org) - A very awesome movie theater that has both a large and small cinema area you can rent out Monday - Wednesday nights for a fair fee. Helpful if you have something to your performance that can go on a movie screen, say, if you are doing a Neutrino Project (ahem) details on on the website under the "Theater Rental" link.

Bookman's - though a bookstore, they are open to performances. Ask at each store for the contact info of the person in charge of booking and just ask them if they are interested in having you perform. You may actually be compensated for it, as I was a few times.

Of course, if you know a U of A student, who is part of an on-campus club or is willing to start a club, you can reserve space for free in one of the many theater spaces present. Modern Languages 350 has a very nice theater space, and Modern Languages 100 has a very large theater space. There is, of course, many theater spaces in the Theatre department, but they are often being used by the theater department, so look into that.

That's all the info I can think of for now.

The National Comedy Theatre in Mesa

For those of you looking for rehersal space on the East side of town, the National Comedy Theatre is also available most week nights and during the day.

for info check out or website at www.nctphoenix.com

or call 602 374 5638

Morgan Evans

A Pretty Good Dentist
Can I take away from that list? I think Four White Walls is gone. Either that or they changed locations. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Paper Heart has been great for workshops in the past, however I'm not sure what their deal is now that Counter Culture Cafe has moved in with them.
This is very old, but yes, Four White Walls is long gone.

This is very old, but yes, Four White Walls is long gone.
Wow! Old thread retrieval. I'd say an up to date list would include

Space 55
The Trunk Space
Theater 168
National Comedy Theatre
Dearing Studios
Matlin Studios
Burton-Barr Library
fractal

and a few others

Four White Walls is gone for sure in name, but Deus Ex Machina still runs improv shows in that location.