Opening an improv theater

Malidog

collige grad
Hey IRC!

(Mullaney, maybe this thread belongs somewhere else, I'll defer to you. )

A few friends and I have been teaching and performing in Toledo, Ohio for a few years now and we're in early talks about getting our own space. We currently rent class space from a local rep theater and have shows at another bigger local theater. We would like to explore the option of renting our own space and evolving into a small black box theater space offering classes and shows. We know this is few years off, but any help/suggestions/words of warning are all appreciated.

diana

mullaney

IRC Administrator
Staff member
Hey IRC!

(Mullaney, maybe this thread belongs somewhere else, I'll defer to you. )

A few friends and I have been teaching and performing in Toledo, Ohio for a few years now and we're in early talks about getting our own space. We currently rent class space from a local rep theater and have shows at another bigger local theater. We would like to explore the option of renting our own space and evolving into a small black box theater space offering classes and shows. We know this is few years off, but any help/suggestions/words of warning are all appreciated.

diana
Here are the reasons I would get a space:
  • You already spend more to rent space for classes and shows than you would to pay rent on a dedicated space
  • You have a hit show that brings in more than enough income to support a small theater
  • You have money and time to burn and would love to spend that money and time running a small theater instead of teaching and performing improv