Notes from the Brooklyn Polygnostic Institute

mikelibrarian

Lost in the stacks.
Fun Fact

The Ancient Egyptians had no idea what the spleen did so they removed it from athletes who competed in races in the hopes that the reduced weight may make them run faster. It may have worked, especially as some scientists believe that a stitch in the side is caused by too much blood going to the spleen when one is running.

May be verified in the No Such Thing as a Fish Podcast episode 212

mikelibrarian

Lost in the stacks.
Fun Fact

The British medical journal the Lancet said in 1868 that only men could handle the revolting scenes of childbirth because women were too delicate.

May be verified in the No Such Thing as a Fish Podcast episode 207

mikelibrarian

Lost in the stacks.
Fun Fact

Jane Austen is the first known source for the phrases "If I told you once, I told you a hundred times" and 'Every Tom, Dick and Harry" and may have invented them

May be verified in the No Such Thing as a Fish Podcast episode 185

mikelibrarian

Lost in the stacks.
I used to be careful about not including more than one fact per source per page on this blog. now I'm worried that I'm going to get a cease and desist order from the No Such Thing as a Fish Podcast.

mikelibrarian

Lost in the stacks.
Fun Fact

20% of meerkat deaths are caused by other meerkats

Humans are two hundred times less murderous than they should be in a state of nature

May be verified in the No Such Thing as a Fish Podcast

mikelibrarian

Lost in the stacks.
Fun Fact

French has 17 words for surrender.

May be verified in the No Such Thing as a Fish Podcast episode 201

To be fair I should check a thesaurus to see how many words for surrender are in English.

mikelibrarian

Lost in the stacks.
Fun Fact

Egg whites were used in building Filipino churches. That's why egg yolks are so common in Filipino cuisine

May be verified in the No Such Thing as a Fish Podcast episode 206

mikelibrarian

Lost in the stacks.
Fun Fact

The disarming charm expelliarmus from Harry Potter can be translated from Latin as "Penis Be Gone."

May be verified in The No Such Thing as a Fish Podcast Episode 225

mikelibrarian

Lost in the stacks.
Fun Fact

The creation and popularity of the sawing a woman in half magic trick may have been due to anxiety over suffragettes.

May be verified in The No Such Thing as a Fish Podcast Episode 225

mikelibrarian

Lost in the stacks.
Fun Fact

When Alexander Graham Bell tried selling the telephone to Western Union, his sales pitch included his belief that one day there's be a phone in every city.

May be verified in The No Such Thing as a Fish Podcast Episode 243