Moving to DC- thoughts?

Hello, all,

Writing from Seoul, South Korea! Hello, everyone. I'm Jessica. I've been doing improv for several years now, but my training is very scattered. I've taken workshops from some excellent professionals and I toured the Canadian fringe festival scene last summer as well as several international festivals, so I wouldn't consider myself a beginner by any means, but I feel like I'd need a pretty significant amount of classes to really feel confident as a strong performer for a herald team.

I've been considering DC as a potential city to move to when I get back, as I have family there and some pretty strong friend connections as well. I can see on here that there is a pretty strong improv community, but I wanted to get some thoughts on what the scene is like. Would you say it's supportive or competitive? Is there a lot of cooperation? Does it tend to be short-form based or more long form? Is there a lot of experimentation?

I always kind of thought I'd move to Chicago for the improv, but as the years have gone by I've become more and more averse to the cold. I don't want to feel like I'm giving up on the dream to do an insane ton of really quality improv, though, so I'm hoping to hear that Washington DC is a really slammin' place to move as an undertrained though talented and enthusiastic performer in my late 20s.

A lot of my "training" has been listening excessively to the IRC podcast. ^.^;

Hello, all,

Writing from Seoul, South Korea! Hello, everyone. I'm Jessica. I've been doing improv for several years now, but my training is very scattered. I've taken workshops from some excellent professionals and I toured the Canadian fringe festival scene last summer as well as several international festivals, so I wouldn't consider myself a beginner by any means, but I feel like I'd need a pretty significant amount of classes to really feel confident as a strong performer for a herald team.

I've been considering DC as a potential city to move to when I get back, as I have family there and some pretty strong friend connections as well. I can see on here that there is a pretty strong improv community, but I wanted to get some thoughts on what the scene is like. Would you say it's supportive or competitive? Is there a lot of cooperation? Does it tend to be short-form based or more long form? Is there a lot of experimentation?

I always kind of thought I'd move to Chicago for the improv, but as the years have gone by I've become more and more averse to the cold. I don't want to feel like I'm giving up on the dream to do an insane ton of really quality improv, though, so I'm hoping to hear that Washington DC is a really slammin' place to move as an undertrained though talented and enthusiastic performer in my late 20s.

A lot of my "training" has been listening excessively to the IRC podcast. ^.^;
I just started doing Improv in the past year, but I can say DC has some good offerings. I've taken long-form classes with the Washington Improv Theatre and done short from with the Comedy Spot in Arlington. Both have been lots of fun and give good opportunities for eager newcomers to learn, volunteer and perform. I've heared DC Improv is good too, but haven't done any of their classes. Good luck with your move.