IRC Wiki

mullaney

IRC Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I'd like to have a wiki as part of the IRC. Something we can all contribute to. The mediawiki is now installed here:

http://wiki.improvresourcecenter.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

This is the wiki engine we are going with.

Q: What will the wiki be about?
A: Improvisation of course, improv theatre, groups, history, games, forms, shows, teachers, performers etc.

Q: Anything else?
A: Sure, I have in my mind a vague notion that by applying game principals and yes anding, that it can become more than just a wiki about improv, but instead a wiki by improvisors about whatever we want it to be about. So if you have an idea for a page or pages, go for it.

Q: Any guidelines for user accounts?
A: Yes! Please use your actual full name or stage name when registering. For instance, I registered as KevinMullaney. You must uses what's called "camel case" names to register without spaces.

Q: Any formatting guidelines?
A: Yes! Always start any new pages with a header. The rest we will make up as we go along.

Last edited:

mullaney

IRC Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to consider the wiki as installed as Beta test of sorts. I may install and try another wiki as a comparison, perhaps Mediawiki, the engine that runs Wikipedia.

Oh please don't break my heart again. I used to enjoy contributing to the CIN's improv wiki until it disappeared one day. So much info gone.

Thanks for doing this.

mullaney

IRC Administrator
Staff member
Alright I got rid of the registration code. It's supposed to be included in the next version. For now it's open registration.

mullaney

IRC Administrator
Staff member
Oh please don't break my heart again. I used to enjoy contributing to the CIN's improv wiki until it disappeared one day. So much info gone.

Thanks for doing this.
I'm going to do my best to keep this up. My only question is this between this engine and mediawiki. Perhaps I should install that too and get some feedback from you.

mullaney

IRC Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm quite worried about spam bots. I wish this registration code thing worked. It would keep 99% of the spammers out I think.

Looks like I need PHP 5 to run mediawiki, so I'm not sure I can try it at the moment.

So far, the second one is working and looking a lot nicer.

a) It just looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing
(not so important)

b)It seems to be more robust and handle data better
(because)

c)It uses more standardized Wiki code

One thing for example. Each category in the first wiki lists things alphabetically, but that includes links like "Home Page". So the link back to the home page is listed after groups that start with letters before "h".

Will file uploads be allowed?

mullaney

IRC Administrator
Staff member
Nobody ever got fired for buying [STRIKE]IBM[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Microsoft[/STRIKE] MediaWiki. I say go with it.
I'd fire them, it's free!

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning toward MediaWiki. I think it's got a bit more of a learning curve, it feels a little more intimidating to edit. But it does look better, and since it's the same software as used by Wikipedia, it's likely to be actively supported and developed for a long time to come.

I wish there still was a way to create a registration code and share it here in the forums.