I'd Better Write It Down Before I Forget

oldlady

Owned By Cats
Louisiana folk, please report in.

I'm still here, I haven't dropped dead yet. I'm putting out a call for Rich and Bethtakes. There is too much damage down there where you are and I'm worried about y'all.

If you don't want to make a public report, just send me a private message, OK?

I was attached to the tv and the weather channel today. We didn't have much communication when Camille destroyed nearly the same area back in the 60s. I remember traveling down highway 98 in 1997 and seeing some of the destruction still visible from Camille.

I think of all of you quite often. I hope to someday return back to this blog (is that what it is?). There have been a few minor changes in my life, but everyone here is well (knock on wood).

Take care until the next time.

Rich and Bethtakes, please report in!

-oldlady

oldlady

Owned By Cats
Rich, thank you for posting. I was worried about you. I'm still waiting to hear from Bethtakes.

Besides the flowers and the vegetables, this summer has been Hot. I don't remember a summer that has been persistantly so Hot and Humid. I spell both Hot and Humid with capital H's because they deserve that distinction after this summer. I thought I was in Florida instead of Michigan.

My little ones are thriving. My Wonderful had to have an operation with scared me. He's 16 years old and had a fatty tumor on his face which needed to be taken off. They gave him gas instead of the shot for putting him under and that seemed to work pretty well for him. Sammy is still living in the greenhouse, which by the way is now a new greenhouse. Our old one was rotting so we had a new one built. Sammy didn't like it at first and took off for two weeks, but she came back (skinny) and now she seems to like it (at least she staying).

Oldsir is doing well. He's going through a little hard time with "old man" problems (they are personal health issues which I won't discuss in public), but he will be come through this fine.

This next statement you won't believe, but it is true: I have a friend. I've never been one to have girlfriends or confidants. But I met a lady that lived in my town years ago, and recently she moved back and in with her daughter. She was married into another religion than that which is common in this neck of the woods. She divorced and as a result was thrown out of that church. I'm the county's athiest, so I guess it was just a matter of time before we met and hit it off. Her story is very, very interesting. I want to get her permission to write about it here. I've learned so much from her in just a short time. For the time being, I'll call her Sophie.

Things to remember: The last time I drove through Biloxi and Gulfport, MS, was about 8 years ago. I remember the lighthouse in the middle of the four lane highway, US98. I saw a picture of that lighthouse today. Complete devastation around it, but the lighthouse still stood. You couldn't tell that there was a road on each side of it any more, but the lighthouse still stood.

Take care,

oldlady

oldlady

Owned By Cats
Happy New Year to all who remember me, and to those I haven't met yet. I'm well, oldsir is well. My Bobbie passed away last year almost exactly the same moment Hurricane Wilma came ashore in Florida in 2005. Sammy passed away last January. My Wonderful passed away a few weeks ago, right after Thanksgiving. We've been heartbroken. Each of our little ones has been cremated and their ashes are in small urns here in the house. Yes, I took Sammy in, finally.

We had a beautiful and plentiful garden this year. The roses were like a wall full of flowers.

The weather has been very, very warm. The summer was downright hot, one night it was still 90 F at 10PM. Now it is New Years Eve (oldsir's birthday), and it is 50 F outside. We've only had a few inches of snow so far this winter, and that is long gone now. It can stay away as far as I'm concerned.

Those to remember: Bobbie, Sammy, Wonderful. I miss them so much.

Take care until we meet again,

oldlady

oldlady

Owned By Cats
She lives

I don't know if anybody remembers me, I remember y'all. I did forget the name of this place for a little while, but the words were just trapped in a dusty part of my mind. There are a lot of dusty parts lately. Words just out of reach and hidden, and then the sun shines from a slightly different angle and I can find them easily.

Yes, I'm older, grayer, sober, and miss my cigarettes. I've lost my three oldest cats, they lived to be very old. I have two new ones, Terror being the newest. He's 9 months old now. He likes my birds way too much. At least he doesn't know if he likes the taste of my birds.

Oldsir has had a rough time. He has to put up with a crabby oldlady like me 24/7. He has started his seeds for the flowers of 2009 in our greenhouse. He's starting the peppers, onions, and tomatos this weekend.

I guess I just wanted to stop in and say Hello. I miss you.

Things to remember: The name of this place. The IRC. The couple living in New Zealand, the gentleman living in England, the girl from Kansas, the guy from Baton Rouge, the poet, the lovely librarian, the woman who moved from the Pacific northwest back to Wisconsin, the man who lived near Chicago and was unhappy with his job and homelife, the retired soldier who defends his guns which defend him and whom I would defend myself. There are many more here I need to remember. I hope I can find my way back here soon. (And I can't forget Mullaney.)

Respectfully submitted,

oldlady

oldlady

Owned By Cats
Today I saw some pictures of one of my great nephews. He's a brawny, tall, strong, gentle person. He was a wrestler in high school, along with being a football player. In college, he participates in track and field as a discus thrower. He's going to be an elementary school teacher (oh my, the evil in me wants to tell him that his discus throwing is just practice to throwing bad little children out the window, but I'm a nice oldlady and don't say things like that). Anyway, before I get off track, one of the pictures I saw was him standing on the field (I guess it's the discus throwing field), his back was to the camera. His outline with the wide, muscular shoulders and broad back was identical to my father's back. At that one moment in time when I was looking at that picture, I could see and hear my father, in my mind, like it was just yesterday that he was still standing. It's a sort of feeling that is both melancholy and a relief, where the melancholy = memories faded into sweetness yet knowing he was far from perfect, and relief = I can still remember and feel.

I put the picture down for a moment, cleared my head, and picked it up again and there again was my gentle great nephew.

Things to remember: Dad raising hell because someone (me) left the door to the chicken coop partly open and a bunch of hens got out. It took him and my brothers at least a quarter of an hour to catch them all and put them back in. There, that memory jolts me back to reality.

Thank you to all of you who have welcomed me back. It's nice to be remembered.

Respectfully submitted,

oldlady